Liability and cover
The financial consequences of being held liable can be huge, so as an insurer you want to have legally sound arrangements. If your legal department needs to deal with complex or highly specialised requests, our dedicated lawyers can help.
We work for insurers, their clients, and other professional parties, assisting them in discussions about liability and cover. We litigate where necessary but aim to avoid litigation where possible.
We give advice and conduct legal proceedings on risk acceptance, cover, claims handling, new insurance products and combatting fraud. Our work includes investigating the possibility of recovering damage and/or loss from the parties responsible or other insurers.
We can advise you on the following topics:
- Professional liability: for example, liability insurance for accountants, lawyers, doctors, insurance brokers, tax consultants, construction companies, structural engineers, architects, bailiffs, IT service providers, estate agents, civil-law notaries and patent agents;
- Business liability: examples include corporate liability insurance, contractors’ all risks insurance, assembly insurance, fire insurance and goods/stock insurance;
- Directors’ liability;
- Personal injury: including employers’ liability insurance, occupational disability insurance and traffic accidents;
- Loss-of-income insurance and sickness absence: for example, giving advice and conducting litigation regarding private disability insurance, support in the implementation of sick-pay policies and policies under the Resumption of Work (Partially Fit Persons) Regulation (WGA in Dutch) for own risk bearers, and advice concerning the communication between these WGA insurers and the tax authority;
- Combatting fraud: for non-life insurers, health insurers, banks, companies, and life insurers.
Major financial interests
If you have a query or would like to know more,
feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you. If you fill in the contact form, we will phone back. Of course you can also contact one of our specialists directly.
Team of specialists
Our lawyers work in partnership with you, in compact teams of specialists. They know your industry and have the expertise that lets them be quick and to the point in advising you and helping you find a solution.
News & insights
The Legal 500 ranks Ekelmans Advocaten as one of the best Dutch Insurance law firms. We are very happy to read the excellent feedback from our clients. Thank you! Praise for the entire team and their ‘clout and extensive specialist knowledge’. Legal 500 specifically mentions Daan Spoormans, Fleur van Kersbergen, Hanco Arnold, Jan Ekelmans, Frank Schaaf and Astrid van Noort as recommended or key lawyers.